Friday, June 10, 2011

" When my children were small . . ."

Fifty years from now, when I think about the summers my children were small, these are the images that will fill my head. 





































 Our Lake Walks are a weekly ritual all spring, summer and fall. Meandering along the pathways to the lake nearby- stopping at parks along the way. It takes all day long, and at the end- you feel tired, and filled up. When I think about my children's childhood I will think about how each day they fell into bed smelling of outside and hard play-work. When I think of my children's childhood it will be impossible not to think of those ladies, too. They are intertwined. There will never be anyone who understands my relationship with my children as well as these mamas who share my days. I cherish their friendship more then it is possible to explain ( I think some of these pictures help).  It is so wonderful to have women  who you need not explain anything to, yet will let you ramble for hours if YOU need to explain. Wonderful to be loved, as you are. My whole life I have played the mother/caregiver- but these ladies take care of me, and I them, together. They are full of amazing ideas and talents, and share them freely. It all gets all blended up. We have the same cups and strollers and clothes- and wear them all differently. I know that fifty years from now, when they think of me- I will be wearing a scarf on my head, my apron and a sling, and that is exactly how I want to be remembered. These moments of my life, in early motherhood, these moments are the truest moment of me. 

2 comments:

  1. You are so lucky to be a part of such a beautiful community.
    These photos are breathtaking :)
    (suzy @ scraps of starlight)

    ReplyDelete