Sunday, May 8, 2011

Sheep and Wool, Happy Mother's Day

" Last week we went to the fairy festival, today we are going to sheep and wool- it must be almost summer!"- Hazel
Yes, we do look forward to the sheep and wool festival. And the fact that we go every year in the spring, does make it a cornerstone to our seasonal rhythm.  
We had so much fun! Aside from January and my disappointment in ourselves for eating at the same vendor as last year instead of the yummy fresh grill- everything was perfect.  It was not nearly as hot as last year- and so the crowds were easier to handle. Our children were beautiful and so excited and interested. The girls both got some lovely roving.
Lyra was actually given some roving for free because a  vendor realized she was learning to use the drop spindle.  This was her great find of the day. She cradled it the whole time and never put it down.
  Hazel used her roving to make some felted balls while I put all of our goodies away. She also got a new wooden iron to help with her dishcloth washing business. She often washes and hangs them out to dry while Lyra does school work.  She washes the windows and has her own dust wand. I asked David to make her a mop and laughed I am teaching her to do ALL the housework.



I of course also purchased a drop spindle, because I will have to teach her how to use hers. After a few videos on youtube .   .   .
Now I have about fifty new questions, but at least its a start. 

I have been looking forward to this festival for a long time. I was planning to buy yarn for the baby's things. After the loss, I was very fearful that this day would be too much for me. I decided that I would buy wool for a new baby. I did notice every skein of yellow and orange, the colors I had planned on using. But I distracted myself looking for midnight blue. The color I feel for a new baby that will hopefully come one winter night next year. It does make me feel much better.
On this mother's day, I will be surrounded by my mother, and step mothers. I will have my aunts and friends nearby. And all the men that support us. We will celebrate all that we cherish- in that celebration I will miss so much my grandma and my little one. But I will know they are together, celebrating everyday. 

3 comments:

  1. what a fun wool day! Its so cute that hazel knows that summer is near by the special festivals that mark that time of the year:) It must have been hard for you to see colours that made you think of the baby you lost, its good that you could stay positive and im hoping your next little angel isn't far away xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fairy festival, how grand! :)

    ReplyDelete